Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Obsession Statement - Pg 5 / ...

So, here is my "obsession statement" - if I do have such a thing. I think the making of my obsession statement is more accurate in describing what my actual obsession (or rather compulsion?) is than what I ended up writing - but maybe the writing gets at it as well. The image posted is the 5th page / attempt at a perfect rendition of my obsession statement. As you can see there are errors within it. I have not yet been able to type a flawless page.

I've realized that with all of my talk, and thinking, about what I am obsessed with there is one major common factor across all of them: my propensity to want (or need) to do things perfectly. It is both a blessing and a curse and usually involves over-thinking things. The typewriter is a very fitting instrument for practicing the art of perfection. I find myself really having to concentrate on every letter being typed. There is no easy solution for a mistyped character (the delete button). There is no red line which magically appears underneath a misspelled word. It almost seems as if words have more personal value when they are manually typewritten.

I'll keep trying.

No comments: