Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Iron Whim - A Fragmented History of Typewriting

I started reading this last night. Haven't gotten too far, but it is pretty interesting so far. I actually had to get this from the Winnipeg Public Library system, as the University does not own it (and I had to get a new library card because, apparently, your card expires if you don't use it for 10 years... weird hey?). This is from the back cover:

The Iron Whim is an intelligent, irreverent, and humorous history that traces the haphazard trajectory of a writing culture and technology. With subject matter ranging over two hundred years of literature, philosophy, popular culture, and mechanical innovation, this stimulating book probes the very nature of creativity, examines how typewriting has shaped workplaces and practices, and dissects our nostalgia for a method of communicating that has all but vanished.

As I read along I will add my own insights and reflections.

No comments: