Tuesday, October 23, 2007

AMANUENSIS


AMANUENSIS: [L. (in Suetonius) adj. used subst., f. denominative phrase a manu a secretary, short for servus a manu + -ensis belonging to.] One who copies or writes from the dictation of another.

So, it has been a while. Too long, actually. But alas, here I am to update my status (or at least my intentions for tonite... I need sleep). I will update my blog to a greater extent over the weekend once I am in Montreal. For now I need to produce the pieces I will be using over the next week.

As for my intentions with this project, I want to begin to question the notion of drawing, technology and authorship. I will be constructing my own amanuensis using a typewriter and both physically and digitally adapting it in order to begin to experiment. Can we dictate drawings just as authors, writers and poets did with the introduction of the typewriter? If we may start to do this what then becomes the implications on authorship? A translation begins to emerge between author (drawer), technology and amanuensis in which information may be misunderstood and transformed... or maybe not?

No comments: